Monday, June 19, 2017

Let's Get Started

The best way to start our journey to a Godly legacy is to answer some questions about our own legacy. Hopefully, this will stir our minds and hearts so as we study together, we can be poised to apply what God teaches us into our own heritage-passage.


Now I will admit up front that I am a spiral notebook toting woman. Please grab whatever you prefer and be ready to answer this quick survey. I will be providing the questions and then at the end of the post I will share with you my answers.

So let's get started.

Were your grandparents Christians?

Did they attend church?

Were or are your parents Christians?

Do or did they attend church?

As a child, were you taken to church?

Were you involved in church activities?

Did you play sports or were you involved in some extracurricular activity?

Was there prayer in school when you attended?

Were there secular things that interfered with church attendance (ex: sports practice or recitals)?

What kind of Christian legacy did your parents leave?

How did they leave it?

Do you have children? Grandchildren?

Are they involved in extracurricular activities?

Have these activities interfered with church attendance?

What do you do to ensure a Christian legacy in your family?

Please feel free to add any explanation you wish to these answers.

Here's mine:

Were your grandparents Christians?
Yes.
Did they attend church?
Yes. They continued to attend until my grandmother could literally not walk any more.
Were or are your parents Christians?
Yes, my parents are Christians.
Do or did they attend church?
They both teach and serve in the church I grew up in.
As a child, were you taken to church?
Yes, often.
Were you involved in church activities?
Yes. All the way through my childhood and into my youth, the church activities were what I was involved in.
Did you play sports or were you involved in some extracurricular activity? 
I wasn't into sports. All of my activity was centered around the church.
Was there prayer in school when you attended? 
There was prayer that morphed into the moment of silence.
Were there secular things that interfered with church attendance (ex: sports practice or recitals)?
No. I can remember that we didn't get homework on Wednesday nights because there was church.
What kind of Christian legacy did your parents leave?
A strong one in which I knew that God was priority.
How did they leave it?
We regularly attended church. You didn't miss unless you had a limb severed or you were throwing up. LOL Can I get a witness? I saw my mom study her Bible for her Sunday school class. I heard my dad talk about following Christian principles in his secular job. They modeled it. Their talk matched their walk.
Do you have children? Grandchildren?
I have one daughter.
Are they involved in extracurricular activities? 
When she was young, she was involved in ballet. But the ballet company was a Christian one, so I knew they wouldn't go against our standards.
Have these activities interfered with church attendance? 
Ballet didn't interfere but there were Christian friends who would ask her to do things during regularly scheduled church times. We didn't allow it.
What do you do to ensure a Christian legacy in your family?
I have always stood my ground in making church time a priority and making sure my family knows why. We don't attend church for attending's sake. We do this in obedience and to show God He is number one. I have also tried to "get caught" reading my Bible. What I mean by that is this, I try to practice the disciplines of reading my Bible and prayer so that I am modeling it more than demanding it.

So, did that little survey stir up any memories about your Godly legacy? I hope it might have whetted your appetite to dive into this study. Now more than ever I feel an urgency to make sure those I have influence over know about God and His plan of salvation and also the way in which God would have us to live.

I'm so glad you're joining me on this journey.

If something stirred in you about your legacy, please share in the comments. I love to hear from you.

Until tomorrow ... keep shining His light!

No comments: