Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Most Beautiful Ugly Words

"Surely, he took up our infirmities
and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
smitten by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed. "
Isaiah 53:4-5

This passage of scripture at this Easter time of year moves me emotionally. On the one hand I'm moved to tears picturing what Jesus endured for me. Then at the same instant I'm moved to smile and rejoice because He took that on for me.

My sins and His wounds were ugly yet beautiful in that through those ugly wounds I am reconciled to God and God doesn't see my ugly sin any more.

Too often we become so familiar with the Easter story that we don't stop to remember what Christ did for us. What love the Father has for us to allow His Own Son to suffer for us.

I have only one child. Though I love my close family and friends, I couldn't sacrifice my daughter for them, not to mention for everyone in the world. When I stop to consider His sacrifice on this kind of personal level, I'm brought to my knees.

I imagine watching as my daughter was inflicted with those ugly wounds. How did He bear it? Then I imagine turning away from my daughter as she breathes her last. How could He do it?

I'm not sure how He could restrain Himself from ending all of the suffering. But what other proof would we need that He loved us? This is the ultimate demonstration of love. "...and by his wounds we are healed."

As my pastor/hubby often says: "He turned his back on Jesus so He would never have to turn his back on you."

As the song says: "How deep the Father's love for us; how vast beyond all measure."

Bask in those most beautiful ugly words from Isaiah during this Easter.

1 comment:

Julie from TX said...

So beautifully put. Thank you, Paula. And happy Res Day to you as well!
J.A.