Saturday, March 5, 2016

Letters and Actions = Same

My hubby just completed our January Bible study last Sunday night. The study was through the book of Second Corinthians.

As he wrapped up that study, a particular passage spoke to me. Reader, you know this happens frequently with me. *Chuckle*

In the last few chapters of this second letter to the Corinthians, Paul finds he must defend himself against some criticism. Read this section from the tenth chapter and verses nine through eleven from The Message translation.

"And what's this talk about me bullying you with my letters? 'His letters are brawny and potent, but in person he's a weakling and mumbles when he talks.' Such talk won't survive scrutiny. What we write when away, we do when present. We're the exact same people, absent or present, in letter or in person."

I immediately reread the passage then examined myself as to whether I follow this same rule. Do people find the same person as the message I portray in my writing?

I've been told that my stories are very emotional which impacts the reader even deeper with the Godly message. Often I've shared with readers that the lessons and messages sift through me and impact me before I share them in my fiction writing. Therefore, when I speak about these topics, I've "been there."

Like Paul shared with his audience here in the Corinthian passage, I don't just throw in the truths from God's Word for effect. What I write reflects what I believe and the way I live my life.

Now there are some who find Christian fiction preachy. I've even read a critic who said if he wanted a sermon, he would go to church.

Sweet Readers, I disagree. I read only Christian fiction (dabbling in nonfiction) and that's what I write. I like to be entertained by a good story just like the next person, but I truly like the messages I receive when I read a good Christian fiction. It's that "icing on the cake" kind of thing. To me it makes the book even more enticing to read when I know I might be led to consider another facet of God's character. Or maybe I'll learn something about my own Christian walk. I might even learn how to treat others in a more godly manner and learn to show more compassion.

Whether I am reading or providing a story for my readers, I want more than just a good story. I want encouragement in faith and an urging to keep my focus on God.

Thus, I will strive to make my letters match my actions in person. I want to be like Paul. No matter if you hear me in person or if you read my writing, I want you to experience the same thing: encouragement in your faith and living a Godly/Christian legacy.

1 comment:

Julie from TX said...

A very thought-provoking post, Paula. Thank you.