Thursday, January 7, 2016

Stable and Prosperous? In this World?

Isn't this what we work for? To have a stable and strong foundation and to prosper or be successful? Let me tell you that the world's ways won't bring this to you.

Psalm 1:1-3
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the Lord. And in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither, and whatsoever he does shall prosper."

The world would have us to do whatever we must to be successful. We are told to step on others and gain however we can. But the first verse above states that such a person will not be blessed. Oh sure, we see those who might even scoff at God seem to be successful. But if we see these as successful, maybe our idea of prospering is skewed.

The dictionary gives two major meanings to the word prosper. The first one states: to succeed in an enterprise or activity; especially to achieve economic success. The other meaning is: to become strong and flourish. One synonym is thrive.

The first definition is what we usually think of first, however, God's definition would go more along the lines of the second meaning. The proof is in Psalm 1.

Allow me to break down verse two and three in the way I apply it to my own life.

I am to delight in the law of the Lord. To me this means that I am to take great pleasure in God's Word. I need to read it, think on it, and incorporate it into my life.

Then I'll be like a tree planted by the river of water. This makes me think of having a firm foundation and the nourishment needed for true life.

In turn I'll see fruit in its season. I'll produce the fruit that God has planned for me, not in my timing but in God's time. I'll thrive!

There are so many voices out there trying to tell us they have the steps for success. Unless their definition of being prosperous aligns with God's, their programs and get-rich-fast schemes aren't the right kind of success.

In this new year let's use God's way to be stable and prosper. We might find that we've never experienced true success or thriving until we make His ways our target.

How do you define success?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

If I were honest I would measure it the same as the world, but my desire is that I measure success by having obeyed His good and pleasing will. Period.