Tuesday, September 29, 2015

It's Not in Vain

Anybody else feeling a bit of the beginning of fall blues? I suppose it could be partly because rain is falling outside today and it looks quite gloomy. Another diagnosis could be that I already feel I need a break from school. We did start early this year. My first day back was July 31st!

Then there's always that feeling of whether what I'm doing is really worth it. Am I teaching those little Pre-K kids anything? And in my writing, am I composing stuff that is meaningful? Am I fulfilling my role as a wife, a mom, a church member, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a Christian?

Yep, I have these days when I'm not quite reaching Super Woman status, and I get down on myself.

But I read a verse this morning that encouraged me. Let me share it with you.

"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourself fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."                   1 Corinthians 15:58

Now, as usual, there is a caveat contained within this scripture. This verse doesn't say that none of my work is in vain. The verse explains that the work I do that is of the Lord isn't in vain.

Thus, if I want my work to mean something, it must be of the Lord. Does this mean that only those things we do in our church are worth it? No. Only those things that are specifically witnessing? No.

In another scripture we are told to do all we do as if working for the Lord.

If I have asked the Lord's guidance in all the work I do, then I can say that I am working for Him. I have long since dedicated what I do in the Pre-K to the Lord. I have accepted a calling from the Lord to write. I have been called to work in all of the roles God has blessed me with.

This means that all of my work means something. It isn't in vain. Even when I'm feeling those blahs, I can take heart in knowing that as long as I'm giving myself fully to the work God has called me to, it is not in vain.

Knowing that causes me to look at the first part of the verse - the part about standing firm and letting nothing move me.

When I start to think what I'm doing means nothing, I must stand firm. I can stand firm in my calling to fulfill all of the roles God is helping me to fulfill. I can let nothing move me. In other words, I can trust in God's help and calling enough to know that He doesn't call me to meaningless tasks.

What about you? Do you have feelings like this? Do you have moments you feel that your work in in vain?

No comments: