Sunday, November 9, 2014

Trust Through Remembering

I've always heard that hindsight is 20/20. But do I apply this same principle in my spiritual life?

Deuteronomy 11:1-2 and 7
"Love the Lord your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws, and his commands always. Remember today that your children were not the ones who saw and experienced the discipline of the Lord your God; his majesty, his mighty hand, his outstretched arm; the signs he performed and the things he did in the heart of Egypt, both to Pharaoh king of Egypt and to his whole county; ... But it was your own eyes that saw all these great things the Lord has done."

The passage above was the message given to the Israelites as they were preparing to cross into the promised land.

First, a quick reminder to love the Lord and follow his instructions.

Then, it is as if God is reminding them why they should follow his instructions. He tells them to recall the past they experienced with their Lord. They had seen discipline come from Him. But, they had also seen his majesty, his strength, and his help. Before their journey ever started, God proved his loyalty through the plagues inflicted on Egypt.

So, why is it that the people could trust God's leading? They need only to look back and see His track record on their behalf.

I'm afraid that I might be guilty of not letting what God has done in the past give me more trust in Him now. If He has proven faithful before, He'll be faithful again. He never changes. But, my spiritual hindsight seems to be nowhere near 20/20.

I doubt, tremble in my boots, and try to "fix" things by myself. How God must shake his head and sigh at my pitiful attempts to do what only He can.

Oh, that I would correct my vision and be encouraged to trust through remembering.

No comments: