Friday, January 10, 2014

Peculiar People Day

Bet you didn't know that January 10th is Peculiar People Day. Yep, it sure is.

Peculiar is defined as distinctive; differing markedly from the usual or ordinary or accepted; odd; individual; separate; unique.

I resemble these descriptions in a couple of areas.

As a writer, I've been told that I'm different or unique in the way my brain seems to work. My author friends might be able to relate. After reading my books, people will inquire as to how my mind conjured such a story. I don't quite know how to explain how I can imagine so clearly the made up characters and stories that gallop across my imagination. I'm peculiar.

As a Christian, I've been looked at as odd. I've been seen as different because I seem to have a joy that circumstances can't rob. People ask how I can have such a trust in a God I can't see. I can't explain how He nudges my mind to spin stories to illustrate His love and His truths. I'm peculiar.

I can tell you that during this month, which is considered Creativity Month, that I serve a creative God. If you don't believe me, read Genesis 1. That creative God made me unique from the inside out. If you don't believe me, read Psalm 139. God created me for a specific plan and purpose. If you don't believe me, read Jeremiah 29:11.

Now, many who would call me peculiar would mean it as a slur. But, I've decided that in light of the fact that God would have me be separate and distinctive, I'm going to embrace my peculiarity. How about you?

Happy Peculiar People Day!

1 comment:

Karla Akins said...

I'm definitely peculiar! Thanks for this great post. Love it!