Saturday, September 28, 2013

Am I In His Will Or Mine?

Do you ever ask yourself that question? Every once in a while I have to test myself and my motives in this rat race called being an author. Am I right in the center of His will, or have I veered off onto my own course?

One way I check myself is to return to my original calling. When I began writing, I told God that I would write His messages even if it was meant to touch only one person. That means I can't get caught up in numbers. I've had people ask me how many books I've sold. Honestly, I can't say with any kind of accuracy. I think that's a good thing. If I make my writing ministry about the bottom line, I think my message will suffer.

Another way I personally check myself is to evaluate what has priority. I promised God that He would be first. Many people know one way I keep myself accountable is to start with reading His Word each morning. I force myself not to check email or Facebook. This is a way to prove my loyalty is to the Lord not to what I am doing.

Prayer is a big indicator, too. I pray as I'm writing that the message will be clear. I pray when I submit a manuscript that this is the place to send it. I pray when I sign a contract that God will direct the editing. I pray as the release date gets closer that God will prepare those readers who need my book's message to be in a place to get the book.

I study my guiding verses for my ministry.

"Mortals make elaborate plans, but God has the last word. Humans are satisfied with whatever looks good; God probes for what is good. Put God in charge of your work, then what you've planned will take place." Proverbs 16:1-3

These verses remind me to put God in charge of my work, because He has the overall plan. I, in my humanness, will settle for what looks good. God wants to give me what He has purposed.

Can I share with you? God's ways will blow your mind. I can't believe that I signed a contract for my fourth book. I can't believe I will be teaching at a writing conference. And, right now, God has me writing a manuscript about four women who followed their own course but found no joy even though in the eyes of the world they are successful.

Precious reader, what has God called you to do? Don't be discouraged if everything hasn't panned out yet. Put God in charge and wait for His timing. Stay in His will. He will bring about His purpose in your life.
 

1 comment:

Brooksie said...

Great blog. As for me, I have a hard time waiting. We are to wait for God, but I honestly have a hard time with that. Thank you for your encouraging words girlfriend!