Monday, July 29, 2013

Keep a Short Rope

Many of you know I have often commented on and quoted from the little book, Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young. This morning, once again, her words were so penetrating and insightful.

"An anchor on a short rope lets a boat drift only slightly before the taut line tugs the boat back toward the center. Similarly, as you drift away from Me, My Spirit within you gives a tug, prompting you to return to Me. As you become increasingly attuned to My Presence, the length of rope on your soul's Anchor is shortened."

As Christians we are to be focused upon Jesus, but there are so many things that can cause our minds to wander off. We can get wrapped up in another person, crowding Christ out of the central position. We can focus upon ourselves and what we want to accomplish.

The key to truly centering our lives in Christ, is to practice His Presence - always bring our focus back around to Him and His will. What is our goal in this life anyway? To become more like Jesus everyday.

I can remember being out in a little fishing boat on the lake with my father and brother when a storm started to blow in. Because our small vessel didn't have an anchor, we headed for the shore so as not to be tossed around by the wind and waves. We jumped out as the rain began to pellet us and entered the shelter of a covered pavilion with a concrete foundation. We sat there in the safety until the storm had passed.

Similarly, I have gotten caught trying to do something my way, ignoring God's direction. Just before the big flop, I've returned to the stability of His Presence, realizing my foolishness in trying to venture out on my own. I've learned each time I've strayed to become more attuned to the Spirit's nudging so I don't drift too far away.

How about it, Christian? Will you strive to keep a short rope on your soul's Anchor?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this too and it's an awesome thought. An awesome comfort-if we let it.
-Brooke

Dianne said...

Gloria, my sister in Christ, shared this message with me yesterday on the phone. The message struck such a chord within me that I searched for Sarah's message which led me here, today. To God be the glory for His living word which speaks and ministers beyond borders!