Friday, March 15, 2013

Popes and Priests

As I watched the news on television announcing the new pope, I found myself thinking about my place in Christ. The New Testament proclaims Christians to be a chosen people, a royal priesthood, and a holy nation.

Before Christ's death on the cross and resurrection, God's people were represented to God through a priest. But, when Christ breathed His last and proclaimed that the work was finished, the temple curtain was torn from top to bottom. This curtain separated the holy area that only priests had been able to access before. Now, it was as if God Himself ripped the curtain, allowing access for all His people.

The Message in First Peter chapter two says:
"But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God's instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you - from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted."

Now, because of Christ, I don't have to go through another person to talk with God. I have access to the Heavenly Father on my own through prayers offered on my own.

But, with privilege comes responsibility. I have to be holy which doesn't mean perfect or pure. It means separate, set apart, and different. Since I can know God through Christ, I have to live a set apart life in front of others. I have to tell others of the difference God made by saving me through the death of His Son.

I didn't have to have seventy-seven human votes to become a Christian with these privileges and responsibilities. I only needed to accept Jesus' sacrifice for me on the cross for the gap to be bridged between God and me.

Often I forget that chosen, royal priesthood, and holy should characterize me. But, thanks to God, I can access Him personally and read His Word for myself, so He might train me.

What does it mean to you to be chosen, a royal priesthood, and holy? Have you taken advantage of that torn curtain today to speak with your Heavenly Father?


1 comment:

Brooksie said...

Great thought! All of us as Christians are called to do God's work and not just the ones in the Pulpit. I think we forget to do our part. We take our calling for granted thinking somebody else is going to do it!